- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Failed Times Square Bomber Sentenced to the Max
The man behind the attempted Times Square car bombing has been sentenced to life in prison. Faisal Shahzad told a judge in Manhattan this morning that he felt no remorse for planning out the attack that failed five months ago. Shahzad pled guilty to ten terror-related charges in June. U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara says the would-be Times Square bomber got the sentence he deserved.
The 31 year old parked a car packed with homemade explosives near a crowded Times Square intersection May 1st. They did not detonate.
He was arrested after an alert Times Square vendor, Duane Jackson of Buchanan, alerted authorities about the suspicious vehicle.
After the verdict, U.S. Congressman Eliot Engel (D-Bronx, Westchester, Rockland) commented,
"Shazhad is a living warning to the rest of us that we face a long struggle to wipe out such terrorism and fanaticism, but that we must ever persevere in this struggle."
He added, "It is yet another reminder that we need increased funding from the Department of Homeland Security for security cameras for religious groups and non-profit organizations that could be targets for violence. In this case, the investigation was aided by cameras in Times Square."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters