- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Cuomo to Take 5% Cut in Pay
Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today that he plans to reduce his salary by 5%.
The Governor's salary is $179,000 and has not changed since 1999. It was set by state law.
Cuomo said today he will return to the state the amount his salary is reduced.
In addition, Lt. Governor Robert J. Duffy and newly hired senior members of the Cuomo Administration have agreed to salary reductions and will also take a pay cut of 5% from their predecessor's salaries. The jobs include the Governor's Secretary, Counsel,Director of State Operations, Counselor and Chief of Staff.
Said Cuomo, "Change starts at the top and we will lead by example. Families and business owners in every corner of the state have learned to do more with less in order to live within their means and government must do the same."
The Governor is due to deliver his first State of the State address on Wednesday. He's expected to unveil sweeping economic changes to help close the state's $6 billion budget gap, including instituting a salary freeze for state workers.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters