- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Cuomo Signs Lever Voting Bill, Paves Way for March 15 Elections
NY Governor Andrew Cuomo has signed into law legislation that will permit villages that administer their own elections to continue to use lever voting machines in next week's elections.
The measure was sponsored in the Senate by Senator Suzi Oppenheimer (D-Mamaroneck).
"As villages throughout Westchester County prepare for local elections on March 15, government officials expressed concerns about shifting over to the new (optical scanning) technology. Many of the villages in my Senate district came to me because they did not think they would have access to the new voting machines and the time or funds to train their staff and test the machines properly before the upcoming elections," said Oppenheimer.
Under the Federal Help America Vote Act (HAVA) municipalities are required to use optically scanned ballots for all elections, including village elections.
Said Oppenheimer, "Delaying implementation of current law for locally administered elections will result in significant cost savings" for the villages involved said the Senator.
Elections will be held in numerous Westchester County towns and villages on March 15 including Briarcliff Manor, Bronxville, Buchanan, Croton-on-Hudson, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington,Larchmont, Sleepy Hollow, Pelham, Pleasantville, Port Chester,Scarsdale, Tarrytown and Tuckahoe.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters