- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
County Legislator Concerned About Lack of Changes to Mount Vernon's Memorial Field Project
The Vice-Chairman of the Westchester County Board of Legislators says he's concerned about the lack of progress over the $12.7 million state-of-the-art Memorial Field renovation project.
Williams was instrumental in obtaining the funding through the County Legacy Program more than two years ago. Now, he's written a letter to Mount Vernon Mayor Clinton Young and City Council President Karen Watts asking for an update and an explanation for the stalled project.
Williams says he met with City Council members last month and was promised the project would be discussed at the Council's next meeting, and became concerned when it was not.
Calls to Mount Vernon Mayor Clinton Young were not immediately answered.
In 2009, the County set aside the money to renovate the crumbling field.
Over the past few years, the City has revised proposals for the project but has yet to come up with a concrete plan for its redevelopment. The most recent holdup involved a bid package prepared by the city involving lights for the new stadium, which has not yet gone out to bond.
In a news release, Williams says he remains optimistic,"I am urging the City Council to move with deliberative speed. I have no doubt that Mount Vernon will emerge as an entrepreneurial hub of business activity and a beacon for job growth in Westchester County."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters