- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
County Exec Meets IBM's Watson
In the area of proclamations, the question is: What is a first for County Executive Rob Astorino?
The answer is....Presenting a proclamation to a computer.
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino was in Yorktown Heights today at IBM's Thomas Watson Research Center to deliver his first ever proclamation to a computer.
And, it was not just any computer, but the world-renowned Watson, fresh off its victory last week on Jeopardy!
While Watson may be smart, it is not capable of accepting awards. Accepting on Watson's behalf was David Ferruci, the lead researcher for Watson and Mark Dean, Vice President and Fellow, IBM Research.
The IBM computer outsmarted top Jeopardy! contestants, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, in the show's only human-versus-machine matchup.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters