- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Con Edison, O&R to Undertake Hudson Crossing Upgrade
Con Edison is working with Orange and Rockland Utilities to undertake a $6.6 million electric service project improvement this week on the electric system transmission lines that span the Hudson River between Stony Point in Rockland County and Buchanan in Westchester.
Local residents on both banks of the river can expect to see O&R and Con Ed employees and contractors working near the tops of the towers by helicopter and around the base of the towers seven-days-a-week from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. from March 11 through April 2, conditions permitting.
Con Ed says the two 475-feet-tall tranmission towers were built in the 1960's to interconnect the transmission system of O&R and Con Edison. The towers were then modified in the early 1970's when the capacity of the transmission cables, which run some 6,800 feet across the Hudson River, was increased.
Both Con Edison and O&R are subsidiaries of Consolidated Edison, Inc., one of the nationn's largest investor-owned energy companies with $13 billion in annual revenues and $36 billion in assets.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters