- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Board of Legislators
Westchester County Legislator Martin Rogowsky (D-Harrison) has announced he will not seek re-election.
While he doesn't believe in the proverb "All good things must come to an end," Rogowsky says "One good thing will come to an end this year and that is the honor and privilege I have had to represent the people of Port Chester,Rye Brook and Harrison."
When he retires, Rogorsky will have served almost 13 years as a County Legislator.
The Westchester County Board of Legislators is joining forces with the newly-formed Westchester County Anti-Trafficking Task Force to eliminate human trafficking in Westchester County.
The collaboration is between members of the Board of Legislators, key service providers, law enforcement agencies, businesses and survivors.
Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner has organized a rally planned for tonight outside Town Hall during which he plans to call on the County Board of Legislators to reverse a decision to shutter Westhelp-Greenburgh in September.
The Vice-Chairman of the Westchester County Board of Legislators says he's concerned about the lack of progress over the $12.7 million state-of-the-art Memorial Field renovation project.
Williams was instrumental in obtaining the funding through the County Legacy Program more than two years ago. Now, he's written a letter to Mount Vernon Mayor Clinton Young and City Council President Karen Watts asking for an update and an explanation for the stalled project.
Williams says he met with City Council members last month and was promised the project would be discussed at the Council's next meeting, and became concerned when it was not.
(L-R: Mount Vernon City Clerk George Brown, Board Vice-Chairman Lyndon Williams, Board Minority Leader James Maisano, Board Majority Leader Peter Harckham, Board Chairman Ken Jenkins, Worshipful Grand Master Reverend Dr. Gregory Robeson Smith, Legislator Alfreda Williams, Westchester County Board of Elections Commissioner Reginald Lafayette.
Newly-elected Westchester County Legislator MaryJane Shimsky was sworn in this afternoon to take over the 12th Legislative District seat formerly held by Tom Abinanti.
Democrat Mary Jane Shimsky has defeated Republican Nick DeCicco in the 12th Legislative District Race to fill the seat vacated by Tom Abinanti. According to unofficial results from the Westchester County Board of Elections, with 94% of the vote in, Shimsky was leading DeCicco 55-45%.
Abinanti was elected to the State Assembly to fill the seat previously held by Shimsky's former boss, Richard Brodsky. Shimsky served as Community Relations Director for Brodsky. She also served as Chair and Vice Chair of the Hastings Democratic Committee and Vice Chair for the Westchester County Democratic Committee.
Shimsky has said a key issue for her moving forward will be to "Strike the right balance in the County budget, to continue to pay for services for those who need them, while at the same time keeping costs low enough for those who can't afford to pay more."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters