- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
A special election is being held Tuesday for the Westchester County Board of Legislators' 10th Legislative District. It's being held to fill the seat vacated by County Legislator Vito Pinto who stepped down earlier this year to become the head of the County Veterans' Services Agency.
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino has named County Legislator Vito Pinto (D-10th District) to the job as head of both the Veterans Service Agency and the Office of Drug Prevention and Stop-DWI. Pinto is a retired teacher, former Eastchester Town Councilman, Tuckahoe trustee and Vietnam veteran.He has been a County Legislator since 1997.
He has accepted the posts effective immediately. Earlier today, he stepped down from his elected position as County Legislator for the 10th District.County Executive Rob Astorino says "His background makes him uniquely qualified to head both of these agencies. His selection reflects my commitment to getting the best people for jobs in my administration no matter what their political affiliation. Said Pinto, "Making sure our veterans get the services they have earned is a passion for me. I am thrilled I will be in a position to make sure this happens."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters