- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
In a further effort to consolidate services, Westchester County will soon begin offering a Unified In-Service Training Program for police officers from all departments in the County through ithe Westchester County Department of Public Safety. The new program is being offered at no cost as a shared service to help police departments in Westchester lower their training costs.
Currentlly, each department in Westchester must pay for a minimum of 21 hours of refresher training to all of its members. The requirement is mandated by New York State.
The search is on for a man who robbed a Chase bank branch at 273 Columbus Avenue in Tuckahoe this morning and made off with an undetermined amount of cash.
Police say the robbery occurred around 8:45 a.m. when a man walked into the branch, gave the teller a blank deposit slip and ordered her to put cash into a black Nike bag.
Officials say the teller originally did not take the man seriously and believed it was a prank. While no weapon was displayed, police say the robber gestured to his waistband, suggesting there might be. The suspect then escaped to a waiting car, a dark sedan, police said.
A special election is being held Tuesday for the Westchester County Board of Legislators' 10th Legislative District. It's being held to fill the seat vacated by County Legislator Vito Pinto who stepped down earlier this year to become the head of the County Veterans' Services Agency.
Elections are underway today in 16 Westchester municipalities. Voters are choosing trustees, village justices, and a new mayor in Buchanan.
Balloting is taking place in Scarsdale, Briarcliff Manor, Tarrytown, Croton-on-Hudson, Elmsford, Rye Brook, Buchanan, Pleasantville, Larchmont, Bronxville, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington, Tuckahoe, Pelham, Pelham Manor, and Sleepy Hollow.
In Buchanan, Mayor Al Donohue is facing a challenge from Sean Murray.
Two people were injured this afternoon when a Bee-Line bus was rear-ended by an SUV in Tuckahoe.
The accident occurred shortly before 1 p.m. The crash occurred at White Plains Road near Winter Hill Road. A bus passenger and the SUV's driver were injured. Both were taken to Lawrence Hospital with what's described as minor injuries. Police say the driver of the SUV was cited for several moving violations.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters