- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Former Lewisboro Town Councilman and current John Jay College professor, Robert Castelli defeated Democratic Westchester County Legislator Peter Harckham in a special election last night for the 89th District State Assembly seat formerly held by Adam Bradley.
Shortly after Robert Castelli was pronounced the winner in the 89th
Assembly District race over his Democratic opponent, Westchester County
Legislator Peter Harkham, last night, I was lucky enough to have
overheard the conversation between the two men as Harkham conceded.
Castelli promised Harkham that he will work in a bi-partisan way, across
the political aisle, as he put it, to represent Westchester up in
Albany...saying "at the end of the day we all represent the same people. "
By day's end we should know who the new NY State Assemblyman is in the 89th District. Democratic Westchester County Legislator Pete Harckham is running against former Lewisboro Councilman and John Jay College professor Robert Castelli (R).
Both candidates shared with me the utter chaos of putting together such a race in record time!
The post opened up January 1st after Adam Bradley was sworn in as Mayor of White Plains. Then the announcement by Governor Paterson that the election would be held in a scant 33 days.
With just days to go before a February 9th special election, the two candidates in the 89th State Assembly District race spent a busy weekend campaigning. Westchester County Legislator Peter Harckham (D-Katonah) and former Lewisboro Town Councilman and John Jay College professor Robert Castelli (R-C-I) are vying for the seat vacated when former Assemblyman Adam Bradley was elected mayor of White Plains.
Both candidates touted the need for reform in Albany and the need for fiscal restraint.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters