- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Just days after coyotes attacked two girls over the span of a week in the city of Rye, comes word that a coyote has been spotted, and possibly wounded in Yonkers.
Yonkers Police say they received a call around 1:30 this morning from a resident reporting a coyote near his residence.
Officers responded and found the coyote at the corner of Chase and Park Street. Sgt Bryant Pappas fired a shot at the coyote, which reportedly caused it to change direction and run toward him. The Sgt fired a second shot, which appeared to strike the coyote causing it to yelp and change direction again. The coyote then ran up Roberts Avenue and the officer decided against firing another shot due to the proximity of local residences in the area, and for fear it would injure people inside.
Police have since been unable to locate the coyote, but wanted to warn the public that a possibly injured coyote might be on the loose.
Westchester County Health officials this week issued a statement reminding residents to take certain steps to avoid a close encounter with a coyote. They include, securing all garbage, removing pet food from outdoor areas and to keep a close watch on their pets, particularly small dogs, who might be considered prey for coyotes.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters