- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County is gearing up for Earth Day Westchester 2011: A Celebration of Green,Sustainable Living on Sunday April 17 at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla.
Both admission and parking are free.
The day-long event which runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. features music from Annie and the Natural Wonder Band and Solar Punch.
Senior Ossining Town Justice Edwin Shapiro has announced his retirement from the court effective March 15. Judge Shapiro has served for over 31 years and recently celebrated his 80th birthday.
Said Shapiro, "I have been honored to serve the citizens of the Ossining-Briarcliff community as their town justice for more than three decades, but now the time has come for me to spend more quality time with my wife,children and grandchildren."
Two women are under arrest, charged with prostitution, following a joint investigation by Westchester County and Town of Ossining Police into a massage parlor on North State Road.
Officials say the investigation was launched following complaints from the community about Jenny's Spa, which is located on the second floor of 518A North State Road.
Undercover detectives went to the spa around 6:30 last night where they allegedly received unlicensed massages and an offer to perform sex acts in exchange for money.
Under arrest are 54 year old Ronghua Xiao of Flushing, Queens and 46 year old Gui Fen Sui of Manhattan.
Both women were charged with Practicing a Profession Without a License, a felony and Prostitution, a misemeanor, and were released pending a future appearance in Ossining Town Court.
State Police say an Ossining woman was arrested for DWI under Leandra's Law following a one car accident Saturday on the Taconic State Parkway in the Town of East Fishkill. Troopers say 40 year old Patricia Castellano's car ran off the roadway and struck a guiderail.
Eight people have been hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after officials say they brought their barbecue grill inside their home.
As part of a first step toward consolidation, Westchester County next week will take over dispatching duties for the Town of Ossining Police Department.
The move is the first step of transitioning toward an agreement in which Westchester County will provide police services to the Town in 2011,something that will save the Town an estimated $900,000 a year.
Police, patrol, detective and administrative staff levels will not be impacted. The Town of Ossining Police will continue to operate as an otherwise independent agency.
Ossining Town Supervisor Cathering Borgia released her proposed budget for 2011 today, a spending plan that has tax decreases in both the Town's General Budget as well as the Town Unincorporated Budget.
Borgia said the decrease is achieved with no loss of services. "These tax decreases have been achieved through careful fiscal control by the Town managers, innovative practices to craft government services and cost-cutting measures taken by every Town employee," said Borgia.
The Supervisor says the one consistent measure of concern to residents was the "Heavy burden of property taxes during these times of great economic stress."
Several weeks ago, the Town Board voted to merge police services with Westchester County, a move that will save an estimated $900,000.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters