- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
The City of Peekskill and six other municipalities in Northern Westchester are taking steps to come up with new ways to reduce energy consumption in order to save money.
The municipalities, all members of the Northern Westchester Energy Action Consortium (NWEAC), were awarded a grant earlier this year from NYSERDA to cover costs of the study. Two companies, Ecology and Environment Inc and Blue Springs Energy LLC were awarded a $280,000 contract to assist the communities by coming up with recommendations to reduce their energy consumption patterns.
Westchester officials say 2009 was a record-breaking year with the County reaching its highest-ever recycling rate of 61%. The majority of the increase is said to be due to a number of large local construction jobs, specifically the Ridge Hill project in Yonkers, which recycled a huge amount of recyclable construction debris.
In addition, more and more residents continued to recycle material after the County in 2008 began enforcing its recycling laws.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters