- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Police say a Connecticut man was arrested July 13 after he allegedly drove drunk with his 15 year old son in the car -- and then pulled over to let the boy drive the vehicle.
Cops say they arrested 41 year old Felix Zaruma of Steelman Avenue, Danbury, as he was allegedly driving erratically on the northbound Hutchinson River Parkway in White Plains around 12:40 a.m. Tuesday.
Police say they observed Zaruma pull over to the left shoulder and switch places with the 15 year old boy who was in the passenger seat. The boy told police that he was asked to drive because he feared his father was about to fall asleep behind the wheel.
Police spokesman, Kieran O'Leary says Zaruma failed a sobriety test and was placed under arrest, charged with a felony count of Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated under Leandra's Law, which makes a DWI a felony when a child of 15 years or younger is in the vehicle.
State Police in Somers say a Brooklyn man who allegedly drove drunk with two children in his car has been charged with Felony DWI under Leandra's Law. According to Police, 34 year old Salustiano Simon Lopez Gonzalez was arrested on route 100 in Somers around 3:25 a.m. Sunday after he allegedly failed a breathalyzer test and police found a 13 and a 9 year old child in his vehicle.
Gonzalez is being held at the Westchester County Jail on $5,000 bond. He's due back in Somers Town Court June 14.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters