- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Habitat for Humanity
The Westchester Chapter of Habitat for Humanity kicked off its latest initiative and broke ground Wednesday on a near-zero energy house on Orchard Street in Yonkers. Executive Director Jim Killoran says the home is being built for Sheila Johnson and will house three generations under one roof.
Dozens of young volunteers, many of them college- age students from out of state, were on hand as the lot was cleared to prepare for the new home, which will feature solar power, a solar hot water heater, low VOC paints as well as energy efficient appliances.
On Friday, it'll be one month since a devastating earthquake struck Haiti,killing more than 200 thousand people. Now, the Westchester County Chapter of Habitat for Humanity is launching an effort to build Haitians new homes.
That was the message today as I spoke with Jim Killoran,the Executive
Director of Habitat for Humanity of Westchester. Killoran is back from a
trip to Haiti where he experienced, first hand, the devastation in the
country following the massive earthquake.
It's nearly one month ago that the quake struck and Westchester's
Habitat is coming up with a challenge that it's calling 100 Homes for
Haiti Now. It's calling on local schools, businesses, and organizations
to sponsor a challenge to raise 3500 dollars, enough to build one home
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters