- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
A couple from Larchmont has been arrested and charged with Repeated Failure to File Tax Returns and Grand Larceny. The Westchester District Attorney's office says 47 year old Denise MacDonald of 21 Jochum Avenue Larchmont and her husband, 53 year old Christopher MacDonald, same address, were arrested following a 12 month investigation by the D.A.'s office as well as the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Special Investigations Unit.
The couple's businesses were named as well. They include, Wish Home Styles Inc., a home furnishing store with a sales location in Rye and an address of 1943 Palmer Avenue in Larchmont, Twinkle Toes Baby, Inc, a baby clothing store with two stores, one in Rye, one in Larchmont, and C.W.M. Horticultural Services Inc., a landscaping company. It's alleged that over a period of eleven years, from 1998 to 2009, the couple, who owned and operated the three businesses, collected New York State sales tax and failed to remit the money to New York State.
Officials say the couple also failed to remit personal income tax to New York State since 2004.
Westchester District Attorney Janet DiFiore says the combined larcenies from their failure to pay for their businesses and their personal income tax, are in excess of $500,000.Bail for Denise MacDonald was set at $10,000 cash, and $5,000 cash for Christopher MacDonald.
They face up to five to fifteen years in State prison if found guilty.
Both are due back in court September 28.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters