- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Yonkers Police have arrested a city man after officers on an unrelated investigation heard what appeared to be the sound of roosters crowing from the man's home at 111 Orchard Street around 10:30 a.m. June 9.
Police say once at the scene, they observed a man, identified as 32 year old Luis Alberto Martinez allegedly smoking marijuana. The SPCA of Westchester was called and discovered two large chicken wire enclosures containing 3 adult and 5 baby roosters. One of the roosters was a "green tail Chinese fighting bird." Another was badly damaged, bloodied and missing feathers. Officials also found and confiscated 6 pit bulls, two of which were tied to trees, 4 were kept in cages. None of the dogs, they say was licensed.
In addition, cops observed what appeared to be four marijuana plants at the location.
Martinez was arrested and charged with 4th Degree Criminal Possession of Marijuana and cited for City Ordinance violations for Possession of Barnyard Fowl and Unlicensed Dogs.
The fowl have been taken to a veterinarian to determine if they had been injured in cockfighting or if their injuries came from another bird in the cage.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters