- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Board of Legislators Votes For Term Limits
(L-R Legislators Peter Harckham, Gordon Burrows, John Nonna)
By a 10-6 vote, the Westchester County Board of Legislators tonight voted to impose term limits on County Legislators as well as the County Executive.
Under the measure, Legislators would be limited to six two year terms in office, while the County Executive would be permitted at most, three four year terms. The new term limits will take effect January 1, 2012.
Board Chairman Ken Jenkins(D-Yonkers) said "Americans are demanding a constitutional check on the institutional power of lifetime legislators and a return to a citizen legislature."
County Legislator and Minority Whip Gordon Burrows (R-Yonkers), who sponsored the measure, called it a "Defining moment, a game changing moment." He says it serves as a message to lawmakers to "come and serve, contribute your time, talent and energy for the well-being of the Westchester community, and then move on with our thanks."
Legislator John Nonna (D-Mount Pleasant) said the concept of term limits is not necessarily poular among elected officials, but it is popular among voters. Said Nonna, "What is desperately needed is the brand of public servants our founders, authors of the Constitution envisioned--citizen public servants who would go serve their neighbors and their country for a limited time only."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters