- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Absentee Ballots Being Counted in Westchester
Election day was three weeks ago, but ballot counting is still going on in some of Westchester County's too-close-to-call races.
Workers began counting thousands of absentee ballots Tuesday at the Board of Elections in White Plains.
Still undecided is the 37th State Senate Race between longtime incumbent Suzi Oppenheimer and Republican Bob Cohen as well as the 89th Assembly District race between Robert Castelli and his Democratic challenger, Tom Roach.As of late last week, Cohen picked up about 125 votes on Oppenheimer when Emergency Ballots were recounted, but she still leads him by some 500 votes.
At last look, Castelli was maintaining a several hundred vote lead over Roach.
Elections workers are expected to spend a good part of the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend conducting the recount. Officials say the process is a laborious one as each vote is thoroughly examined and objections brought up immediately to lawyers who are on site. Sometimes, Elections Commissioners are called upon to rule on irregularities, and if they disagree, it would then have to go to a judge for a final determination.
A State judge has set a December 20 deadline for a full recount.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters