- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
As nuclear fears persist in Japan following a massive earthquake and devastating tsunami, some Westchester residents have been questioning whether or not such a thing could happen here.
Miss Westchester 2011 and Miss Teen Westchester 2011 were among the hundreds of participants taking part in Saturday's 14th Annual St Patrick's Parade in White Plains.
Miss Westchester 2011, Christina DeLeon of Yorktown Heights and 17 year old Samantha Gold, Miss Westchester Teen 2011 waved to the crowd from their special green and orange Jeeps provided by their Official Sponsor, White Plains Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram.
Westchester County is still reeling from the heavy rains from the past 24 hours. The massive amount of rainfall, estimated to be as much as 3" in some areas, was simply too much for many roads and bodies of water already at high levels due to rains earlier this week.
Elmsford was particularly hard hit, with some sections seeing several feet of water in the streets. Some residents took to their recreational boats to get around.
The 22nd Annual St. Patrick’s Parade will be held tomorrow, March 12, at 3pm. As Grand Marshal, Rev. James J. Gardiner, S.A., will lead the parade through the streets of Peekskill.
Con Edison is working with Orange and Rockland Utilities to undertake a $6.6 million electric service project improvement this week on the electric system transmission lines that span the Hudson River between Stony Point in Rockland County and Buchanan in Westchester.
Local residents on both banks of the river can expect to see O&R and Con Ed employees and contractors working near the tops of the towers by helicopter and around the base of the towers seven-days-a-week from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. from March 11 through April 2, conditions permitting.
The Westchester County Health Department says watery sewage overflow from Peekskill sewer lines that had been discharged from three manholes located at South Street and Hudson Avenue in Peekskill has been taken care of.
The sewage overflow was caused by this week's heavy rains.
Funeral services were held this morning for 23 year old Army Specialist David Fahey Jr. at St. Patrick's Church in Yorktown.
Hundreds of people were in attendance including local veterans, police, EMS and fire officials to say farewell to the fallen local hero.
Fahey was killed in Afghanistan February 28 by an improvised explosive device. He was born in Norwalk and raised by his adoptive parents in Yorktown Heights.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters