- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
2 Arrested for Attacking Trooper on Taconic State Parkway
A routine traffic stop turned violent after police say a man pulled over for tailgating, and his girlfriend, suddently began attacking the State Trooper who was ticketing them.
State Police say the incident occurred on Saturday August 14 around 2:10 p.m. on the Taconic State Parkway in the Town of New Castle. As the trooper began writing up a ticket, the driver, 21 year old Kevin Newman of Putnam Valley allegedly got out of his vehicle and began shouting at the officer and scuffling with him. As the trooper attempted to take Newman into custody, the passenger, 17 year old Skylar Kerekes of Palm Coast, Florida exited the vehicle and allegedly bit him in the arm.
Then, as the Trooper took Kerekes into custody, Newman ran across three lanes of traffic onto the Parkway's median where he was corraled and taken into custody. The unidentified Trooper was taken to Westchester Medical Center where he was treated the bite wound and released.
Newman and Kerekes were charged with Second Degree Assault, a felony, and Resisting Arrest. Both were remanded to the Westchester County Jail. They are due back in New Castle Town Court on Thursday.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters